Tuesday 3 December 2013

With The Edge of Nowhere - A Book Review

The Edge of Nowhere, written by Elizabeth George is about Becca King, a young woman on the run from her abusive father. Now what sets this aside from what I usually review is that there is a fantastical element to it; Becca can hear people's thoughts.

I have to start off by saying that I don't like supernatural stories. I avoid them and when I do read one I rarely ever finish it. But because of the overwhelming abundance of bookstores in this country, I couldn't find anything else to read. So here I am, doing something I thought I would never do, I'm reviewing a supernatural novel.

Now, the first thing I noticed about this story is that most of the characters are painfully 1 dimensional; including the protagonist. The only character I was impressed by was Seth, a 19-year-old drop-out with learning disabilities. I feel like he is the only character who genuinely had depth and grew throughout the plot. The second is that although there are fantastical elements, they made no real impact on plot progression. So, despite my predisposition away from Fantasy I actually liked the plot in this one. Because unlike in others I have read before, the supernatural bore no real influence on the story. The plot would've been more or less the same without her "ability". It truly was refreshing to read a fantastical YA where the fantasy doesn't take over.

Now, this book is the first in a series, but I don’t think I'll read the rest of them just yet. There was nothing exceptional about it and I'm just not invested enough in the characters to follow them further.

No comments:

Post a Comment