Wednesday 11 December 2013

The Beast - With Al Sahwa 3

This is the third story by Al Sahwa School Seniors as part of this project. Below is a message from the authors, Bushra Al Shahri, Ikram Al Lawati and Hebba Al Kindi.

It was about time for a new adventure, that's what I thought about when I first stepped into my friend's Leela private jet, 4 people, and an unknown destination. I was hoping for something more like "eat, pray, love" but I never knew what was coming. As we were flying somewhere over the pacific, the plane suddenly started shaking; we were crashing. The pilot then quickly opened the door of the plane; "everyone grabs a life jacket and JUMP into the water" he yelled. As soon as I jumped out of plane and plunged back to the surface, I started looking for my fellow friends, but no one was there. I waited and waited but nothing happened. Suddenly I saw seagulls fly in one direction and I knew there was land nearby. So I swam and swam and until I found it: HEAVEN. It was a beautiful tropical island. I was roaming around looking for food and clean water when suddenly I saw a toddler. What was a toddler doing in an isolated island? Perhaps it wasn't isolated at all, I thought to myself.
The toddler started crying so I approached him trying to calm him down, I didn't want his parents –if they even existed – to think that I've had harmed him in any way. So I started playing with him and I decided to give him a piggy back. My back was sore, and when I came to lower him to the ground, suddenly the weight grew heavier on my shoulders. "I AM NOT A HUMAN TODDLER YOU FOOL, I AM A LEPRCHAUN AND I HEARBY MAKE YOU MY PERSONAL SLAVE”. I was shocked, a leprechaun in a tropical island, he knew what I was thinking. "I know what you're thinking, leprechauns are supposed to be white and Irish, but guess what there are black leprechauns too”. I replied "Aren't you supposed to be nice then, I thought leprechauns were at least nice, you see I wouldn't mind working for a nice leprechaun who'd pay me in pots of gold”. He yelled “shut up you fool, after all the discrimination I've been through I don't want to be nice to anyone, especially your kind of people." I yelled back: oh so you think I am racist just because I am white huh? Well guess what I AM SINDY BED AND I AM NOT A RACIST. A powerful blow hit my head, and it was all dark. When I woke up the leprechaun tortured me, I had to carry him all around and he wouldn't let go of me. He made me steal pots of gold from him and he discharged his marshmallow filth upon me. I was tired and my back really started to ache.

One day when he was asleep, I stumbled upon a very particular kind of fungus, the "shrooms". I knew this very well, since I had to prepare an assignment on hallucinates. I sliced pieces of the shrooms and hid it in his food, when he ate it he grip loosened and I was free to go. I took advantage of his state of mind and dragged him by the river side, I plunged his head in the water and I whispered goodbye you beast.


“If you are interested in reading an adapted story of Sindbad’s 5th voyage, please read this but also comment about it.”

Link of the real story: http://www.wollamshram.ca/1001/Dixon/dixon01_13.html"

8 comments:

  1. The adaptation was nicely done and kept me reading right from the beginning. nice work keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wild little ride! I kept thinking it was dream state or hallucinatory, and then that element just pops in there. I like the connection to Sindbad's 5th, but it needs a little more of Beethoven's 5th. Huh? Patience. Let us have the time to feel the wet sand, see the baby from afar, feel the weight bearing down on your back! There are a few glitches in grammar and punctuation to be smoothed out, but they don't distract. What does distract is the "leaping" from one reality to another. Would make an excellent animated short!

      Delete
  2. This story is the adaptation of Sindbad’s 5th voyage. In this story instead of the ship gets attacked by birds, the main character with her friends will be on a private jet, which will crash and they’ll have to jump into the water. All of her friends will die except the main character. Then the Old Man rides on Sindbads back and won’t release, then he’ll get the old man drunk and will kill him. But the main character will have a leprechaun on her back that will also not release and instead of getting him drunk she will give him mushrooms that will kill him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, what is theme or moral of your story and how does it differ from the one in the 5th voyage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment , the main moral of our adaptation is that things are not always what they seem.
      Furthermore our moral or theme does not differ from the theme of the 5th voyage (which is that things are not always what they seem ).

      Delete
  4. What inspired your "fairy tale twist" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think that all the modern adaptations of fairy tales where the stories are told from various and uncommon aspects are what inspired our story. A great influence would be the TV show Once Upon A Time which portrays fairy tales in a modern way, where characters whom we believe to be evil are actually nice and vice versa.

      Delete
  5. I've never read any stories related to Sindbad's adventures, I think I would have found it more interesting if I did notice the adaptation when it first started. I was hoping for a twist with the plot, she was dreaming or she was dead something along these lines but I have a bit of a wild imagination sometimes. It was a good story but hoped for more description and a better flow it just jumps from one thing to another. I'd give it a 3/5

    ReplyDelete