Monday 14 October 2013

With The Twitter Diaries - A Book Review

I have to be honest. The only reason I bought this book is because I thought it would be interesting to review. Written by Georgie Thompson and Imogene Lloyd Webber in the form of tweets. Yes. The entire books is written in the form of 140-character-messages between the two protagonists. Stella designs shoes for men while Tuesday, is a daytime-TV reporter. Although they are in different continents they become close over twitter and bond through their DM's.

There's usually an air of inconsistency in books that are co-authored and this book is definitely not an exception. The plot is weak at best and generally gave me no chance to relate to the characters. But perhaps this is expected from a light "chick-flick-book" ( I'm sure there is a better name for those) there is no denying that it is a fast read. That is, of course , if you plow through it. The story contains all the shallow humor and dry wit that is expected of chick-flicks. Along with the unrealistic catharsis and character improvement.

Now I love Twitter. But reading a story form through tweets is annoying.. and having characters defined only as ambiguous handles like @AllThatGlittersIsGold at times, and unrealistic ones like @mum at others can really take its toll on ones sanity.  There's also the oh-so-subtle allusion in the number of Twitter followers. The character gains followers in the high of the plot, and loses followers in the lows.

I wouldn't read this book again and I don't think I will recommend it to anyone. Unless they want a really light read for a plane ride or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment