Saturday 26 October 2013

With Modern Adaptation Web Series - 2

It is now Fall and the promised adaption of Emma by Jane Austen is currently airing. (If you don't know what that is I posted about it here). And boy is it marvelous. You can really see the effect of larger budget and audience on the series. After the Emmy-winning LBD came to an end the producers at Pemberly Digital (It is an actual company now, although owned by John Green and Bernie Su and not the fictional William Darcy) promised a larger series and they're certainly delivering with obviously higher production costs and more Transmedia.

 From the get-go they managed to put me off Emma Woodhouse. A Beauty guru and lifestyle expert "documenting her greatness for future achievements". Emma's inflated ego drives me up the walls but we don't have to like the character to like the show. And I do like the show. Besides, I wasn't a fan of the Emma in the book either.

If you read my earlier blog post, you would have seen that I had some reservations. And I still have them. I wish they would've gone for a bolder book; not just a typical novel that is sure to please their targeted demographic. Perhaps experiment with a different author. Nevertheless, the series is nice. Go ahead, watch the first episode.



Although it has an obviously smaller budget and production team, I like The Autobiography of Jane Eyre more than Emma Approved. The Autobiography of Jane Eyre is closer to home. The characters are far more realistic, the development makes sense. In short, it is less of a chick flick. To be honest, the credit to most of this belongs not to the producers of the series, but to Charlotte Bronte, the original  author.  But I take off my proverbial hat to the producers of AOJE, they did good! And you can see that for yourselves here:



There is another major modern adaptation Web-Series going on right now; The Nick Carraway Chronicles. An adaptation of The Great Gatsby. Now this is a series I do not like. I stopped watching it a few weeks ago because frankly; they can't act. I took the poor acting in the first few episodes as realistic jitters, but it hasn't approved much since. Besides that, I don't feel like they put enough effort into modernizing the plot. It isn't as witty as I would like it to be. No sly references or winks or sarcasm. It's just bland.




Check out all of the above series and tell me what you think. Perhaps you can recommend others to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment