Friday 4 October 2013

With Logos Hope

The largest floating book fair, Logos Hope is currently parked in the Sultan Qaboos Port in Mutrah. Logos Hope is a German Ship that is operated by a christian charitable foundation. The ship is continuously travelling from port to port selling books. Logos Hope will be in Muscat until the 7th of October; open from 2pm to 10pm.

The event is really well organized- Because they can't accommodate for cars in the port, you park in a designated parking lot, and then ride a bus to the ship. A ticket costs 300 bz for anyone over the age of 12, and free for anyone below. The staff on the ship are really friendly. They come from all over the world, and they all seem to want to get to know our culture. I had some really interesting conversations with a few of the crew members.

Now, The Logos Hope is run by a christian organization, so you do feel a kind of religious vibe to it, but they try to accommodate for our culture by having closed areas for women and men.

I must say that the collection of books wasn't impressive at all. I haven't heard of any of the titles in the best-sellers and there are quite a lot of Bibles. I did however manage to buy a few books from the classics section- Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by R.L Stevenson and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I also got a book called Under the Covers and Between the Sheets, which gives a kind of behind-the-scenes of classical books and characters. I will be posting a review of the latter soon, as I have a lot to say about it.

The children's books section is quite nice though. There is a whole section for Enid Blyton and a few Arabic books. I got a few of these for my brother.

On the 6th there will be a time for ladies only on the ship. I recommend you find the time to visit it, if only to see what it is like. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree especially with the organization and the collection of books, it's so impressive!!! It visited Philippines on march 2012 and we were able to check on it too. http://thestoryofawanderer.blogspot.com/2013/11/on-board-with-mv-logos-hope.html

    ReplyDelete